World AIDS Day is seen on December 1 consistently. World AIDS Day is committed to spreading mindfulness about the Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), which is spread by an infection called human immunodeficiency infection (HIV).
In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, HIV prevention, testing and treatment are altogether being disturbed overall especially in nations where heathcare infrastructure is weak.
As per the World Health Organization, the “breakdown in essential HIV services due to COVID-19 is threatening lives”. “We must fight on with passion and we must keep human rights at the centre of our societies and of our health systems, or we will not end the HIV epidemic,” Executive Director of UNAIDS said in her message on World AIDS Day.
World AIDS Day 2020: Interesting facts you should know
- Theme of World AIDS Day 2020: “Global solidarity, resilient services”.
- World AIDS day is set apart by the WHO as a “global public health campaign.”
- Worldwide, 12.6 million individuals living with HIV actually don’t approach treatment: United Nations
- An expected 38,000,000 individuals are living with HIV in 2019: WHO
- HIV keeps on being a significant global public health issue, having guaranteed just about 33 million lives up until this point: WHO
- By June 2020, 26 million individuals were getting to antiretroviral treatment, denoting a 2.4% expansion from a gauge of 25.4 million toward the finish of 2019: WHO
- 85% of pregnant and breastfeeding women living with HIV additionally got ART (antiretroviral treatment): WHO
- “Health is a human right – and universal health coverage must be a top investment priority. To overcome COVID-19 and end AIDS, the world must stand in solidarity and share responsibility: UN chief Antonio Gueterres.