The Gotham Awards presented a touch of quarantine glitz and brilliant Oscar buzz onto the 2021 awards circuit.
Distributed during a cross breed live-virtual ceremony broadcast Monday night from Cipriani Wall Street in New York City, the Gotham Awards enhanced key competitors gunning for spots in the Oscar race.
Likely Best Picture candidate Nomadland (coordinated by Chloé Zhao) brought home Best Feature at the Gothams, while potential Oscar acting competitors Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal) and Nicole Beharie (Miss Juneteenth) brought home Best Actor and Best Actress.
As recently reported, hypothetical Oscar competitor Viola Davis and the late Chadwick Boseman were the current year’s beneficiaries of the Gotham Awards Tribute prize. The Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom costars joined a renowned gathering of Tribute honorees, a considerable lot of whom proceeded to win or be designated for acting Oscars, including Laura Dern (Marriage Story), Rachel Weisz (The Favorite), and Gary Oldman (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy).
In spite of the fact that not the most dependable foreteller of Oscar tastes in the entertainment world, the IFP Gotham Awards normally help perceivability for early competitors in the chase, close by pundits bunches like the New York Film Critics Circle (which previously named First Cow the best film of 2020) and the Los Angeles Film Critics Association (which supported Steve McQueen’s Small Ax).
This year, a few high-profile competitors were ineligible for Gotham Award gestures, including various Netflix passages (Mank, Da 5 Bloods, and Hillbilly Elegy), while Sophia Loren’s re-visitation of film in the decoration’s The Life Ahead was likewise ineligible for an assignment in the acting categories since it was submitted as a international title.
See the full list of 2021 Gotham Awards winners below.
- The Assistant
- First Cow
- Never Rarely Sometimes Always
- WINNER: Nomadland
- 76 Days
- City Hall
- Our Time Machine
- WINNER (tie): A Thousand Cuts
- WINNER (tie): Time
Best International Feature:
- Cuties (Mignonnes)
- WINNER: Identifying Features
- Martin Eden
Bingham Ray Breakthrough Director Award
- Radha Blank for The Forty-Year-Old Version
- Channing Godfrey Peoples for Miss Juneteenth
- Alex Thompson for Saint Frances
- Carlo Mirabella-Davis for Swallow
- WINNER: Andrew Patterson for The Vast of Night
- Bad Education, Mike Makowsky
- First Cow, Jon Raymond, Kelly Reichardt
- WINNER (tie): The Forty-Year-Old Version, Radha Blank
- WINNER (tie): Fourteen, Dan Sallitt
- The Vast of Night, James Montague, Craig Sanger
- WINNER: Riz Ahmed in Sound of Metal
- Chadwick Boseman in Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
- Jude Law in The Nest
- John Magaro in First Cow
- Jesse Plemons in I’m Thinking of Ending Things
- WINNER: Nicole Beharie in Miss Juneteenth
- Jessie Buckley in I’m Thinking of Ending Things
- Yuh-Jung Youn in Minari
- Carrie Coon in The Nest
- Frances McDormand in Nomadland
- Jasmine Batchelor in The Surrogate
- WINNER: Kingsley Ben-Adir in One Night in Miami
- Sidney Flanigan in Never Rarely Sometimes Always
- Orion Lee in First Cow
- Kelly O’Sullivan in Saint Frances
Breakthrough Series — Long Format (over 40 minutes)
- The Great
- Immigration Nation
- WINNER: Watchmen
Breakthrough Series — Short Format (under 40 minutes)
- WINNER: I May Destroy You
- Taste the Nation
- Work in Progress